Would you like to try some exercise that puts a smile on your face? Did you know that you can attend Tai chi / Qi Gong and Meditation classes at UWE? If you are feeling sluggish, in pain, fed up and lacking in energy, then this is a great way to make a change. It is a mindful practice that can give your body and mind a kick start and nurture your emotional well being. Classes are currently free on zoom so now is a great time to come along and give them a go.
Our instructor, Claire, teaches Qi Gong exercises based on traditional Tai Chi principles, as well as an introduction to meditation. The exercises help to open the spine, energise the body, release stress, and bring a state of quiet contentment to the mind. Classes are relaxed and friendly, concentrating on improving health. They are not martial, there is no fighting, and there is no ‘form’ or routine to learn. That means you can drop in and out whenever you please. You don’t need any previous experience and we can adapt the exercises to suit any mobility problems you may have.
People have practised Tai Chi & Qi Gong exercises (often known as Daoyin) for health in China for thousands of years. There is now a growing body of scientific research that provides evidence for its benefits. These are just some of the changes you can expect if you practise Tai chi & Qi Gong regularly:
- Relief from back and neck pain (and headaches) associated with too much sitting and computer work.
- A way to help the body heal itself from sports or other injuries to muscles and joints, as well as relief from chronic health conditions affecting the joints.
- Benefits to general fitness and heart health.
- A way to let go of the anger, sadness and frustration.
- Relief from chronic stress. Many of us spend too much time in ‘fight or flight’ mode. Chronic stress damages our physical and mental health. Tai Chi & Qi Gong and Meditation help us activate the body’s ‘rest and repair’ system and bring us some relief.
- An improved ability to focus the mind – either in sport, performance or work.
- Generally feeling happier.
Classes are provided through UWE MOVE:
Thursdays – Tai Chi / Qi Gong – 12.30 – 1.30pm
Fridays – Meditation – 8.30 – 9.00am
No special equipment is needed. Just wear some comfortable warm clothes, and make sure you have space to lie down for meditation exercises.
Claire Mitcham, Tai chi body and mind.