AMERICAN FOOTBALL: UWE Bristol Triumph over visiting Hertfordshire

In their most recent home outing, UWE Bristol’s American Football team continued their great form as they comfortably beat the University of Hertfordshire.

UWE Bristol were unable to get much offense going on their first few plays, facing a sack on first down and throwing an incomplete pass on second down. Facing a long third down, it was UWE Bristol’s tight end who caught a crucial pass to gain not only fifteen yards, but another first down. The home offensive-line was able to allow plenty of time for their Quarterback, who ploughed on for several first downs on his own.

With UWE Bristol on the opposing 10-yard-line, a crucial third-down throw was caught by a wide-open Wide Receiver for the touchdown to put the hosts 6-0 ahead. Rather than go for the post-touchdown field goal, UWE opted to go for two points, but their attempt was unsuccessful.

After forcing a quick turnover, UWE Bristol made it 12-0 after a Quarterback scramble broke through the opposing defensive line. UWE Bristol then forced another turnover on defence, before coming agonisingly close to making it 18-0. As UWE’s Wide Receiver caught the pass, he burst through the line and ran it in for an 85-yard touchdown, but unfortunately, a referee flag on the field for offensive holding saw the original ruling overturned.

Another home touchdown followed by a successful two-point conversation saw UWE Bristol extend their lead to 20-0 with only three minutes left in the first half. With the game looking all but won, the visitors hit back with not one, but two touchdowns before halftime, to take the score to 20-12 at half-time.

With the second half underway, UWE Bristol came within one pass of extending their lead, with the opposing Cornerback intercepting a pass in the end zone. However, moments later, UWE Bristol hit back, picking off a Hertfordshire pass before returning it into the end zone. Despite missing the two-point conversion, UWE Bristol still led 26-12.

UWE Bristol were able to keep the visiting Hertfordshire out of the end zone for the whole of the second half, while adding six more points onto the scoreboard to close the game out. In the end, the game finished 32-12, with UWE Bristol extending their unbeaten run.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: