Mixed emotions for UWE Bristol’s Football teams on Halloween night

Halloween saw a contrast in results for UWE Bristol’s first teams in two high-scoring games.

The Women’s football team welcomed Bath Uni 2s in what was a disappointing afternoon for the hosts. UWE Bristol looked the better side in the early stages of the game passing the ball around comfortably however it was the visitors who took the lead through an impressive long-range strike.

It was a rather wet afternoon with the heavens opening early on causing the pitch to become more-and-more slippery throughout the afternoon. This saw several injuries for UWE Bristol with two substitutions being made before half-time.

Bath took control before the half, doubling their lead. Two more second half goals meant UWE Bristol women’s suffered a disappointing 4-0 loss. Fortunately, there’s still plenty of time left in the season to put things right with this being only their second game.

It was a far more positive afternoon for the men’s team in what was a feisty game which saw several yellow cards and several more goals. The University of Gloucestershire made the trip to Lockleaze Sports Centre in what was an enthralling game under the floodlights.

UWE Bristol took the lead early on after a great through-ball found striker Sol Wanjan-Smith who slotted the ball under the opposing keeper.  He added his second not long after following a counter attack when the referee had waived away a Gloucestershire penalty appeal.

Gloucestershire responded with a goal of their own, making the score 2-1 with a close-range strike following a corner kick. This one goal lead didn’t last long as UWE Bristol were rightfully awarded a penalty kick about ten minutes before half-time. Joey Boettger stepped up and blasted it into the back of the net to extend UWE Bristol’s lead by two goals.

More misery was piled on Gloucestershire’s shoulders after a dangerous free kick was headed in by Matt Paton.  Charlie Knight made it 5-1 after the break placing his shot neatly into the bottom left corner before the visitors pulled one back, albeit a consolation goal.

The game finished 5-2, with UWE Bristol Men’s 1s fully deserving the victory.

Stay up to date with all #TeamUWEBristol by following UWE Bristol Sport’s blog. Leave your comments and blog suggestions below!

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: