Summer Sessions are back with a handy breakfast ready for when you wake up.
Overnight oats are quick to prepare, easy to eat on the go, come in a variety of delicious flavours and are one craze we were happy to jump on the band wagon for!
This handy breakfast food is a tasty combination of oats, milk and your choice of honey, nuts, seeds and fruit (the list goes on). Not only are the oats a great source of carbs and fibre (16.5 g and 2.75 g per 25 g), they’re loaded with all the essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Oats can also improve the control of your blood sugar and lower your HDL (bad) cholesterol levels.
Another benefit of this quick fix breakfast is that it’s very filling, keeping you going through the morning without the need to snack. Preparing them the night before (even in 2 morning batches) means you can roll out of bed, straight to the gym and have breakie ready for when you get to work.
We’ve got one recipe to get you started so why don’t you give it a go to try a stress free morning.
Berry Apple Oats
- 50 g porridge oats
- 50 ml milk (use dairy alternative if vegan)
- ½ grated apple
- 2 tbs berries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tbs chia seeds
- 1 tbs flax seeds
- 1 tsp honey
- Add the oats, milk, apple, seeds and honey to a container and stir
- Place the berries on top
- Cover and store in the fridge over night
- Grab from the fridge and eat whenever
Put a post-it on the door to make sure you remember to take it in the morning!
Over do your oats!
- Making your recipe in the container you plan to transport it in means less washing up and no wasted oats.
- Reuse an old glass jam or peanut butter jar for a spill free and environmentally friendly alternative to a plastic lunchbox.
- Talking of peanut butter, try with banana for recovery after a particularly heavy workout.
Try it, taste it and get used to this awesome, healthy alternative to cereal or toast. Any recipe ideas, let us know!